Updating post from Reddit.

INFORMATION
Posted by phpadam 3 weeks ago
HMRC Names Property118 as a tax avoidance scheme
Posted by 28Righthand 3 weeks ago

It means if you took advice from property118 to move a personal property to a ltd by first calling it a partnership to avoid SDLT then you broke the rules of S75A and the taxman has 20 years to chase you

Posted by smoulderstoat 3 weeks ago

You know that thing in action movies where someone sees a red dot and realises they're in a sniper's sights. It's like that, except there's a taxman at the other end.

Posted by wait_whats_this 3 weeks ago

Honestly, I think I'd rather the sniper. 

Posted by 0100000101101000 3 weeks ago

Wait, is this a sorta legit thing? Currently joint own a property (so partnership?) and would love to move it into a ltd company but facing a huge stamp duty bill.

Posted by napsterqqq 3 weeks ago

Jointly owned is not a partnership! A partnership is a separate entity for financial and tax purposes and will need to file its own financials statements and tax returns. I’ll wager you are not in a partnership.

Posted by 0100000101101000 3 weeks ago

I’ve read HMRCs property income manual and didn’t fully understand the partnership examples.

Still unsure, HMRC PIM1030 states a partership could exist if we "provide significant additional services in return for payment" - it's a large multi-tenant commercial property and I do the management myself which is run the same as a PM business.

It's a large commercial ex-mill building with ten tenants so not exaftly small, it's run and managed as a part time job and I'm a co-personal owner of the property.

Posted by Lucassssssss 3 weeks ago

This sounds like a scenario where you might actually be able to claim incorporation releif, worth speaking to a (good) accountant. Usually you need to be spending (around) 20 hours a week on managing it.

Posted by JorgiEagle 3 weeks ago

I mean, five minutes on that website was enough to know that it was essentially a circlejerk, and not somewhere you should be taking legal advice.

Especially because tax law is famously uncomplicated

Posted by regprenticer 3 weeks ago

Reading many of the comments over the years I think Mark writes most of them himself - they're all in a very similar odd tone of voice.

For example when Mark offered to "have a pint to sort this all out with Dan Neidle" and all the posts were in the same vein

• what kind of man wouldn't want to sort this out over a pint....
  • I'm with you Mark, I don't trust anyone who won't sort a problem over a pint like a real man
  • what more can you do, if Dan Neidle was a true gentleman he'd accept your offer to talk things out over a pint

And so on

Posted by SchoolForSedition 3 weeks ago

All hail Dan Neidle.

Posted by regprenticer 3 weeks ago

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts. There has always been a sense that he's sensible, fair minded and open to constructive criticism.

I always got the opposite sense from P118 and I've never understood how they managed to convince thousands of people to trust their incorporation structure with hundreds of millions of pounds of property.

Posted by SchoolForSedition 3 weeks ago

People will want to believe they can get away without paying tax. So they do believe it. They think the advisers must just be clever.

As with many white collar fraud events, they are sort of clever. I once hear it described by a senior lawyer as « clever in the way that armed robbery is clever ».

Posted by stevehem 3 weeks ago

I think that people notice that Amazon, Ikea, Google pay no tax in this country and assume that, as long as you get a good tax advisor, tax is a voluntary payment to the state. They notice that Rishi has income in the tens of millions of pounds, and pays an average rate of 22%. They don't understand that the taxman isn't so accommodating for the little people. (OK, Rishi at 5'3 is the exception that proves the rule, but you know what I mean.)

Posted by UCthrowaway78404 3 weeks ago

we do need to ensure all landlords pay tax, including aristocrats in trusts, and offshore landlords. if every landlord paid their taxes, not just the ones based on the UK - we could have a lower tax rate overall for property.

Posted by purely_specific 3 weeks ago

We could but we sure won’t, it’s not in the treasury’s interest

Posted by ReasonableWill4028 3 weeks ago

Lol as if the Treasury would decrease rates and revenue if people paid

Posted by UCthrowaway78404 3 weeks ago

They won't do it because the establishment and tonnes of Lords have land they rent out through offshore trusts.

British government's wants to have foreign investors putting their money into UK. They and indlcentivised to do this without paying corporation tax to the UK.

For.them to roll.out consistent tax treatments for rental property they would need to close the loophole for the establishment and for foreign investors in all sectors.

The expensing treatment of mortgage interest between ltd Co and sole trader landlords is ridiculously fair and they're OK with that. So.i don't know how they will close up offshore tax havens.

Posted by Loud_Meat 3 weeks ago

what, you think they would just tax people and invent things to spend money on for the sake of it, rather than lower taxes when they could for the obvious electoral benefit?

Posted by ReasonableWill4028 3 weeks ago

Yes they would.

Posted by herefor_fun24 3 weeks ago

More tax means more wastage by labour....or more labour corruption

Posted by glglglglgl 3 weeks ago

Because the conservatives definitely funneled everything into useful causes

Posted by Whalex84 3 weeks ago

What does this mean?

Posted by veritech 3 weeks ago

Backstory

In a nutshell, if you used their offerings prepare to be investigated.

Posted by jetfuelcanmelt 3 weeks ago

They did a whole presentation at Baker Street Property Meet a couple years ago. That's one of the largest in the country. You could see people queuing up for info at the end

If it's too good to be true...

Posted by phpadam 3 weeks ago

It was a good sales pitch, when you hear it's been approved by barrister's. Most would take that for a green light.

Id like to think I'd back out once they told me the actual details, as that does sound like nonsense.

Posted by Classic_Mammoth_9379 3 weeks ago

A friend on mine got involved in a clear Ponzi scheme and was trying to tell me that they’d had a barrister explain why it was legal. Sadly I failed to get the point across that a barristers job is primarily to put forward ONE side of the case as well as they can, not to provide a balanced legal decision.  

Posted by BigBird2378 3 weeks ago

Serious question - is anyone here involved? If so what's the strategy? If me then I'd have an accountant unwind it and prepare a disclosure to HMRC and submit a claim against P118 / Cotswold.